New programs for Watercrest South and Copper Creek Flats, a sprawling challenge proposed along K-7 Freeway in Lenexa, will force back again some larger-density multi-relatives structures, transferring them further away from a neighboring subdivision whose house owners oppose the undertaking.
Just after about a few hours of discussion Monday evening, the Lenexa Scheduling Fee highly developed the controversial residential progress proposal. It is the 3rd time a model of developers’ purposes have highly developed by the fee.
Found on about 187 acres of farmland at the southwest corner of Monticello Street and 90th Avenue, the proposed Watercrest South and Copper Creek job is made up of strategies for a blend of multi-tale apartments and townhomes, single-spouse and children residences, another multi-loved ones apartment as well as a townhome subdivision, senior housing and business developments.
Shifting large density away from single-relatives households
In the hottest iteration of the plant, the builders — Q.C. Development, P and L Progress LLC and Watercrest South LLC — have moved planned multi-loved ones units away from present one-loved ones homes in the nearby Watercrest Landing subdivision.
The new system phone calls for shifting some of the best-density apartment units to southern parts of the website, closer to Prairie Star Parkway. The remaining condominium models would nonetheless be found on the website between Watercrest Landing and K-7 Freeway. Manor-style apartments — referred to as “Big Homes” in the developers’ plans — with 10 models just about every will serve as a buffer in between the residences and Watercrest Landing.
Quite a few commissioners mentioned they appreciated the initiatives by the builders to tackle fears of the neighboring property owners.
“I realize the worry that the general density went up,” reported Commissioner John Handley, noting that a varied array of housing stock enables for “a mixed community that receives alongside well. “I consider these come to feel proper, the transitional density and zoning is one thing that I assume will make it a lot less drastic and considerably a lot less terrifying when it does last but not least go in.”
Having said that, some citizens and Commissioner Jason Leib mentioned the density of the proposed residences was nevertheless also significant. Residents’ worries centered all-around the substantial density of the Copper Creek part of the enhancement, which they said could result in website traffic congestion and negatively influence residence values.
“It’s going to be a jam there, and it is not heading to be the pretty, all-natural methods that Lenexa has out there any longer. It is heading to be chaos out there,” said Dave Komar, who lives in Watercrest Landing.
Leib voted versus the Copper Creek Flats proposal and connected rezoning, citing his ongoing issues about high density.
Parts of the venture
Here are the parts of the undertaking and how they vary from former variations:
- 192 one-loved ones properties on about 94 acres of land — portion of Watercrest Landing — on the southwest corner of Monticello Street and 90th Avenue (a decrease from 257 homes)
- About 10 acres of commercial site, potentially for two four-tale resort properties and a retail creating, on the northeast corner of K-7 Freeway and Prairie Star Parkway (no main adjust)
- 230 apartment models in a few-tale buildings on about 14 acres close to the southwest corner of 90th Street and Monticello Highway (an enhance from 100 models)
- 206 apartment models for a senior housing undertaking on about 5 acres near the southwest corner of 90th Street and Monticello Highway (an boost from 150 models)
- 143 townhome units on about 27 acres on the northwest corner of 95th and Monticello — the organizing fee will overview this particular item at its upcoming assembly to handle the rezoning ask for (an maximize from 56 one-family lots, per the prior version)
- 634 units in a combine of apartment buildings and “Big Home” manor-type structures on about 34 acres just west of 89th and Woodsonia Generate (earlier 688 residences and 44 townhomes)
Down below are some supplemental style renderings for the job:
A transient historical past
The scheduling fee to start with permitted the proposal in August 2020. Neighboring property owners and customers of the Lenexa Metropolis Council later on raised worries and some opposition to the undertaking because of to the superior density of the Copper Creek Residences becoming located next to the current one-family households in Watercrest Landing.
Just after the metropolis council remanded the undertaking to the arranging fee, and the organizing fee again permitted the undertaking, the town council in October deferred thing to consider of the purposes to December.
Shortly afterward, the builders withdrew their application and resubmitted new strategies.
The job nevertheless hinges on the developers’ completion of Woodsonia Travel from 83rd to Prairie Star Parkway.
The Lenexa Town Council will think about practically all legs of the challenge March 16.
Just one software — a thought prepare and linked rezoning for townhomes totaling 143 models on the northwest corner of 95th and Monticello — stayed at the rear of for further review and discussions by the builders and the organizing fee. At situation was the appropriate degree of density — medium or high density — that must be permitted for the web-site.
Commissioner Ben Harber was absent.